Monday, April 23, 2007


Placenta brain?!?!
I have recently been made aware of this term, and I am starting to wonder if there is some truth to it. Now, let me preface by saying that I have been very cautious not to "falsely blame" ignorant mishaps on pregnancy. I am showing very little, so the pregnancy is really not a highlight of discussion with those other than close friends and family.
I have had very few "cravings" if any, and rarely do I "use" the idea that I should have cravings to coerce my hubby into getting some ice cream for me (though I HAVE used it once or twice:). Though I have trouble getting to sleep comfortably and have to get up several times in the night, rarely do I mention it to anyone.
HOWEVER, two weeks after finding out that I was pregnant, I lost my beloved wedding ring--broke my heart and still does make me tear up when I think about it (which is every time I look at my hand). I have lost my phone, blackberry, purse, and wallet on countless occassions. I leave things everywhere, and I am constantly having to make several trips back in the house to get something before we can leave. I leave my keys hanging in the front door (defeats the purpose of locking it, by the way). I lost my camera case with a very expensive camera (gift from employer), debit card, and drivers license (rather important when you are needing to fly back home) at Disney World. Praise the Lord, it was in lost in found. We also had to have our car jumpstarted when we got back from Palm Beach, because I left LG's dvd player on.
While, before I was pregnant, I did have "blonde moments," this is entirely different. I didn't send out Christmas cards this year, I forgot some gifts until the last minute (when I am usually on the ball and ready to roll for Christmas), and twice I have let the dish water overflow in the sink, because I got sidetracked doing something else. Once we got to Palm Beach, we had to purchase a pack n play for LG, because...you guessed it. I forgot it.
Today, I either locked my keys in the car or lost them somewhere in Wal-mart. Laura Grace and I had to call her daddy for a ride back to the house, and Josh (gracious hubby that he is) is on his way here with the other set of keys, so we can go check the car and search out Wal-mart again! By the way, he is catching on quickly and did not even question my stupidity.
So, anyway, this is just a general "wonderingment" (I DO know that is not a word, but I like it). Should I be concerned, or is this a natural tendency of "placenta brain?"

11 comments:

Jenny said...

My youth pastor coined it "PIR" (pregnancy induced retardation) and I suffered horribly from it. Now I hope that my forgetful scatterbrain is due to interrupted sleep patterns...

Unknown said...

I have never heard the pregnancy phenonmenon referred to as placenta brain, but I suffered from it also. Though I certainly didn't lose as many things as you did! I mainly just lost track of my thoughts and was forced to use to-do lists to get anything accomplished during the day.

Also beware of the hormone surges that cause you to cry sporadically or get made at your hubby. That cursed me several times during my pregnancy with Chloe.

Your belly is adorable!

Anonymous said...

I also forgot a lot of things thought wise. I would get ready to do something or would be thinking about something and totally lose my train of thought. Never lost anything though. :) If I do recall you lost quite a few things in jr high/high school. You were always leaving rings on the bathroom sink.

Sara said...

Okay Kim, point well taken, but the difference was that I typically ended up FINDING them! This ring is gone, I'm afraid. I guess I can't however blame my "blondeness" COMPLETELY on pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

Hello, this is David (Sara’s brother). This phenomenon has absolutely nothing to do with your pregnancy. In the almost 28 years you have been alive you have forgotten and lost anything and everything not physically, permanently attached to your body. If attempting to relate your most recent loses to your pregnancy in someway makes you feel better, please go ahead, but understand those of us who know you KNOW BETTER!

Sara said...

"Not so much Anonymous", you would have to see it to believe it. It has actually gotten WORSE! And yes, maybe it does make me feel a TAD better blaming it on pregnancy! I need whatever excuse I can muster to make the unforgivable sin of losing my wedding ring, somehow forgivable.

Sara said...

Oh, and let me add, "Anonymous", that if your claim to know me SO well is in fact true, you should double check your calendar, because your sister is going to be twenty-SEVEN on her next birthday!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Trisha informed me it was only 27 years, sorry about that!

Karen said...

what a dork dave is! :) o, sara, i'm tearing up FOR you at the thought of a lost wedding ring! i know you're devastated. but i really and truly belive in "pregnancy mush brain," as i like to call it. how else do you explain sending numerous blank e-mails, forgetting the person you're telephoning as soon as she answers the phone, losing your keys and then finding them in the freezer, or never, EVER being able to find your car in the parking lot?

Karen said...

and I wish I could say it gets better after the little cherub is born!

Sara said...

Thanks, Karen! I am glad you can relate. It doesn't help that I have always been "known" to lose things... I get very little sympathy, except from those who have experienced it themselves!