Monday, November 05, 2007

"Gauging Gage..."

This morning, I took Gage to his four month doctor's appointment with a list of concerns (just in my head--I didn't actually write them down). He is now four months, and he favors his right side quite significantly. He will look to his left, but only if I really make a "scene" on his left side, of which I am perfectly capable:). He also still crosses his eyes some, not a lot. He doesn't roll over, or hold him self up well enough for an exersaucer or Bumbo seat yet. So, anyway I just had a few "not SO scary" concerns.
The doctor agreed that he favors his right side, and she is referring him to a physical therapist for an assessment and possible treatment. No biggie-that is likely a very correctable issue, though of course, I would appreciate your prayers. Gage was much more cooperative with the little flashlight this time, although his right eye was a little lazy. (a problem about which they would be concerned if he had not been premature--it usually fixes itself anywhere between two-four months). Although he is four months, he is only two months past his due date, so they are not too concerned with that yet. If the problem continues, he will see an ophthalmologist. His weight, length, and head circumference were perfect. He weighs 15 lbs 10oz, which confirmed what we already knew--he's a chub! He had two shots, for which he cried all of five seconds. However, he projectile vomited all over the lobby on our departure, expressing his irritation at the "shot policy!"
I will conclude by sharing that my heart is SO FULL of gratefulness. While I am concerned (as any mother would be) about these issues and covet your prayers, they are so VERY small in comparison to what "could have been." We have been truly blessed by this miracle, and every time he smiles, laughs, or coos, I am again reminded of this undeserved blessing.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara,

He is so sweet! I'm enjoying your updates and pictures! We will defintely have to see if we can stop by for a visit when we are on our way to Emerald Isle, NC in March. I'm sure you are a wonderful mother!!

Tricia said...

I'm so glad Gage is doing so well. I'll be in prayer for the few issues that are going on with him. Sydney just had her 4 month appointment too and is 13 pounds...and she was 2 days "overdue". It's always funny to me how differently babies grow! =)

Stephanie (Wolynes) Steinbart said...

Ok, I feel so stupid! Sending you all those tiny clothes to fit your "preemie"! I hope you were able to exchange them for something more suitable for your big boy! It is funny how differently they grow. Canon was born on his due date and weighed only 19 pounds at 1, 22 pounds at 2, and now 32 pounds at 3! We will hopefully be finding out what we are having next Monday (if it cooperates!)

Abby said...

Sara,
Thankfully Gage is a "healthy" boy - I always love when people say that about our chubby babies! Elijah is 17 pounds now and is a little more than 4 months, so Praise God that Gage is gaining weight! I'll definitely be in prayer about your concerns with Gage's development. And you are right - comparing what could have been and what you have right now - there is no comparison. God has been SO good! What a cutie he is too!!! Bonus :-)

Karen said...

I'll pray that those issues turn out to be nothing. Congrats on all that weight gain, Gage! Keep it up!

Ondria said...

Hey Sara!

So exciting to hear all the new updates! It's great the most recent "concerns" of yours are all so minute! What a blessing! God is so gracious and good. Well, I hope you are having a great week! We are praying for you. Oh, and let me know if you got my email -- (ojnopulp@yahoo.com) Thanks!

Unknown said...

Overall that's great news about Gage! I'm sure all will right itself in a few months time. That's AWESOME that he's a chubtart now! Seems hard to believe from where he started. God is so good!

Anonymous said...

Sara,
I am glad to hear he is doing good. I am sure he will be fine but understand your worries. He is SO cute and getting so big, that is great! See you soon!
love ya,
Billie