Friday, November 16, 2007

Left Torticollis...heard of it?!?!


We went to our appointment with the physical therapist on Wednesday morning, and she determined (after playing with Gage for a while, testing different movements and motions) that he has left torticollis, which basically means "tight neck." Spending so much time on his right side has caused his head to be slightly misshapen. He looks perfect to me, but I guess an impartial opinion was needed here:). This is not a HUGE concern, but we were assigned exercises (which are somewhat time-consuming) and changes, like lying him on the changing table the opposite direction, feeding him on the opposite arm, etc... Basically, we have to train him to use his left side as much as his right. You don't realize how much you depend on your side of strength (mine being my right side), until you have to switch gears. However, we are thankful that it is not more serious. We have an appointment to go back in two weeks to make sure that the changes made have proven productive, and then once a month to make sure this is not affecting him developmentally. I am very grateful we caught this early, so that we can (hopefully) correct it before it slows his development.
Thank you for your continued prayers for our precious Gage and strength and patience for his mommy and daddy, as we work hard at correcting this!

6 comments:

Abby said...

A girl at work was just telling me that her son had this! It's definitely treatable! Praise the Lord!!

Unknown said...

Wow, I've never heard of that at all! Thank the Lord it's not a serious thing and can be corrected. Keep us posted as to how it's going! And I'll pray that you all are patient and consistent in all those little areas. Before you know it you'll probably just do all those exercises automatically without thinking!

Kim and Jon Kelsey said...

what a cutie! he is going to seem sooo big by the time we see him! :(

Anonymous said...

hi, i haven't seen any pics for a while he is getting so big. jayse has that same doggie outfit he got it from pam averill i love it!! i hope you and your little family are doing well.

Erin Neiner said...

OH WOW...I am sorry I am only reading this now!! This is exactly what Drew had from early on. I think he was 6 weeks old when he was diagnosed with tort. It was the same way with him where he would only turn his head one direction. Actually, from day one in the hospital, the pediatrician had concerns about his muscle tone. After ruling out it was nothing cognitive (scary) we were set up with a physical therapist that came once a week. And from this "hypertonium" he was prone to "torticollis." So I am with ya, babe, in the excercises and all!!! Oh my, Drew just hated them and just screamed at me as I had to stretch out his neck...but it all really, really helped and there was a marked difference. Drew's hands also always stayed closed so I had to stretch those out also. It sounds somewhat different with Gage's situation, as every situation is unique, no doubt. My p.t. had me start side sleeping drew on the strong side so if he lifted his head he was strengthing it. Of course...your p.t. will know what's best. We had one of those lullaby music players that hooks up to the inside of the crib which he would really watch and I would lay him so he had to look toward his weak side. Of course, Gage has this at an older age, so it could be different. But all that to say that Drew responded really well with the therapy and excercises (he had weekly therapy until he was walking...13 months old I th ink). And there hasn't been anything that has stunted him from all that! I actually still do notice his one side of his head is a little bit flatter when his hair is short (sad) but other than that...nothing. SO...keep pressing on my friend. I know those excercises get weary sometimes and you just want to have the reassurance that he is going to be fine but don't always know how everything is going to pan out. And I'm saying, your a fighter...and so is he! :) And you keep working through these things as they come up and you're stronger all the more!!! The Lord will give you the grace you need to help Gage through this and as He has miraculously kept him safe through and through He will continue to do so!! Love you, S. Drop me a note any time!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My son is now 7mos old our pediatrician diagnosed him with a left torticollis at his 2mo appt. He has a mild case. But the same as you we didn't even notice it. I totally know where you are coming from,we had to switch gears everything we do we have to make sure we are on his left, the toys, the tv, people, the way we change him. It was a little overwhelming at first but its a way of life now. He is doing very well after 5mos of physical therapy. Still has more to go but we know he will be just fine.