Monday, July 16, 2007

Life as we once knew it...



is no more. For the first couple of days at home, I was still hearing the beeps and alarms of monitors, and if I glanced at the clock, I would think things like "It's almost time for his 'assessment' " I was still on hospital time. I am finally learning to relax and just enjoy my baby without worrying constantly about his temperature, weight, or his breathing.

Today was his first doctor's appt, and he is back up to his birth weight (even a tad more)!! His temp was a little low, but nothing too concerning--shocking that his temp is low in this ninety- degree weather! I feel a little ridiculous, wrapping him up so tightly in blankets and hats, but we will do what we need to of course...

We are getting into a new routine with Laura Grace. She loves him dearly already, and fortunately has not shown many signs of jealousy yet (except for the handful of goldfish she threw at him today, but I do think she was just trying to share:). I am surely enjoying having them both together, and I really think that the adjustment will be pretty smooth.

Here are a couple recent pictures of the little guy, and yes, he does open his eyes, but his sleeping pictures are just too precious to resist.

9 comments:

S said...

Praise the Lord he's back up to his birth weight and things are going well. We will be praying for you as you adjust to your new 'life' and little sleep! :)....but it's all worth it.

Kim and Jon Kelsey said...

Hi Gage! You sure are PRECIOUS! Can't wait to get my "auntie" hands on you! We love you! Kisses and Hugs from all of us!

Karen said...

Hey, I still can't believe he's home with you guys! Sounds like he's doing just fine.

You're not back to work already, are you???

ruth said...

Yay! It's so awesome to see answer to prayer! He is indeed adorable.

Anonymous said...

I have been keeping up with your blog, and I am so thankful that you have it! It really helps to feel like I am somewhat in touch.

In reading your profile, I feel prompted to reccommend Jodi Piccoult as a great author (not that you will have much time to read for a while.); My Sister's Keeper is especially good.

Please forgive me, but I have a suggestion for you. When I take newborn pics, one of my standard poses is to take one with Mom and Dad's wedding rings on the baby's finger. Baby will usually grasp right ahold of them. This seems especially fitting for you, given you just found your ring. This shot will also give some good visual cues of Gage's size. You can shoot this as a close up of just the hand and rings or position baby's hand near his head. Anyway, just a thought. If you attempt it, try to use window light with no flash and a very steady camera. You will be able to create a very dramatic a black and white.

The pics you have posted are just precious! He sure is a cute little guy for being so small. I can't wait to actually see him in person.

We are so grateful he is doing well! You contine to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Abby said...

He is so adorable! The sleeping pictures are always so precious!!! I'm so glad that he's home now and that he's back up to birth weight! That's always a relief! Oh, and I finally updated my blog, since you prodded me so :-)

Unknown said...

Are you back nannying already?!? Or is LG at home with you?

Gage is absolutely adorable! I have a friend whose baby was in the hospital for the first month of life and she had a difficult time getting her used to days/nights as in the hospital it all seemed the same. How is Gage handling the hours? How's his feeding going?

And you're right, your life will never ever be the same again! But it's such a good rich life with a little one regardless of the sacrifice it involves. Praying for you during these first exhausting weeks!

Sara said...

Karla, I hope you check back on here! Thanks for the photo suggestion--that will be precious! I was actually hoping you might be able to sqeeze my little guy in when we came up for the shower--possibly the weekend of Aug 25th? Let me know if you'll be in town! And thanks for the author suggestion--might be a while, but I will get to it eventually.

Matt & Nicki said...

He is so sweet. I am so glad things are going well for you guys!